Tips to Take the Headache Out of Storage. (Mostly)
- Carefully wrap breakables individually in bubble wrap/plain newspaper.
- Place protective coverings and pads on furniture and mattresses.
- Disassemble furniture in order to best use the space in your room.
- Place heavier items on the bottom of the box. Place heavier boxes at the bottom of your box stack in your room.
- Label all boxes on each side and keep a list for yourself of what is in each box.This will enable you to easily locate an item when needed.
- Pack heavier items, such as books, in smaller boxes for easy lifting. Pack books on side not on spine.
- Don't make boxes too heavy, but be sure to fill all boxes to the top either with bubble wrap, plain newspaper or another type of filler, so boxes will not collapse when stacked.
- Arrange your room so that frequently needed items are at the front and leave room for an aisle.
- Use wardrobe boxes for clothing.
- Do not store any toxins or flammables. This may include paint, oil, or gasoline.
- Furniture with drawers can be used to store items. Additionally, you can place boxes on top of furniture after padding or placing plastic wrap on the top.
- Stack same-sized boxes on top of each other.
- Use sturdy packing boxes designed for storage.
- Use packing tape to seal boxes in order to keep out dust.
- Store couches (except sofa beds) on end in order to save space in the room. Additionally, use our sofa bags for extra protection.
- In order to avoid unwanted scents keep refrigerator and freezer doors slightly ajar.
- Do not store any food items.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does storage cost?
Tuck-It-Away offers New York's best self-storage deal with low rates and free moving. Rates are monthly and vary based upon location of building and room size. All you need to do is contact one of our storage consultants to describe your requirements or visit any of our showrooms. We will give you a FREE estimate of the space you need based upon the information you give us. Review our space estimator now or Contact Us to learn more.
How can I move my possessions to the storage center?
Tuck-lt-Away will provide you with a truck, a driver, and 2 hours of FREE moving. That could save you up to $300. Furthermore, if you need additional help/time, we offer reasonable rates for the truck, the driver, and the manpower. And then when it is time to move out, remember to reserve our truck and movers to help you.
How secure are your buildings? Are my goods safe?
All rooms are constructed from galvanized steel metal. Our storage centers are outfitted with some or all of the following security and safety features: television monitoring, intercom systems, alarm systems, strict tenant access controls, and daily management surveillance. Best of all, your belongings are stored in your own private storage room. You keep the key and no one else can gain access except you and those who you authorize.
What hours are you open?
Access to storage rooms ends 30 minutes prior to the closing hour at 3240 Bronx Blvd., both of our Brooklyn locations, 950 University Avenue and 272 Sussex Avenue. Otherwise, access to storage rooms ends 15 minutes prior to closing hour at all other locations.
- 160 John Street: Monday thru Friday 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. / Saturday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. / Sunday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- All Bronx & Manhattan Locations: Monday thru Saturday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. / Sunday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Albermarle & Newark Locations: Monday thru Friday 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. / Saturday 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. / Sunday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- NOTE: After hours access is provided at all locations for a small fee.
What days are you closed?
Tuck-It-Away is open everyday except major holidays, which include New Year's Day, Easter, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
How often can I go to my room?
Customers can visit their rooms as often as they like. There is no charge for visiting your room, putting additional items in or taking things out. To insure your safety, all customers are asked to sign-in at the front desk and to show identification.
What room size do I need?
Our storage consultants can help you to determine what size is best. Contact us via phone or email us to get a Free Estimate.
What forms of payment do you accept?
Tuck-It-Away accepts all major credit cards, checks, money orders, and cash. You can set-up your account so that your monthly storage fee is automatically billed to your credit card or debited from your checking or savings account by logging in. You can also pay your storage rent online.
Do you have commercial tenants?
Yes. Some of New York's largest bookstores, retailers, universities, law firms, accountants, pharmaceutical companies, and importers/exporters store their inventory, files and supplies with us.
What about insurance and do you offer it?
Tuck-It-Away does offer self storage insurance through SBOA Tenant Insurance. The best part about it is that there is no deductible, so if anything were to happen, you would be protected. Policies start at $8/month for $2000 coverage and can be paid at the same time that you pay for your monthly storage fee. If you would like $3,000 coverage, the cost is $12/month and if you would like $5,000 coverage, the cost is $20/month. If you need more coverage, let us know as there are additional policies available. Read additional information about our protection plan.
I need an odd-sized room, what do I do?
Tuck-It-Away has a Build-to-Suit Program where we will build you a room to fit your needs within 24 hours.
Where do I get the boxes and packing supplies from?
We offer a complete line of products to help make storing as easy as possible. So, when you need locks, tape, boxes, bubble wrap or wardrobe cartons, just Contact Us. We can have them delivered right to your door. See Packing and Storage Supplies for further information on pricing.
Do you provide parking?
Yes, the majority of our storage centers allow you to drive your cars right into the building at no charge.
How long can I store my possessions for? Is there a time limit?
Customers sign a month-to-month lease agreement, thus providing you with maximum flexibility. You can stay for as long as you want. In fact, many of our customers have been with us since we first opened our doors in 1980.
I'm a student and I need to store my stuff, can you help me?
Yes, Tuck-lt-Away offers programs that cater to your needs when you are away for a summer or a semester. In fact, many of our storage centers are just blocks away from some of NY's schools including Columbia, Barnard, Julliard, Fordham, NYU, FIT, BCC, LIU and Brooklyn Polytech.
Are you a member of any industry associations?
We are members of the national Self Storage Association (SSA), the New York Self-Service Storage Association (NYSSA), and the New Jersey Self Storage Association (NJSSA). And our President has served as a member of the NYSSA Board of Directors for many years.